Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Full Review of Bare Minerals BareSkin Serum

It dawned on me, that as a blogger I have not registered "consistent" to my vocabulary. Rambling is a tendency of mine, without truly informing about all of the products I have been using.

Where I am going with this, is that early May I purchased Bare Minerals Bare Skin serum. I made a scant impression post, utilizing a streak that was on my face and then never went back and revisited my feelings on it. On my phone lived nearly a month worth of notes on the product, and enough to pack in a great review. Somewhere after that month, I purchased the smallest sampling kit available of the original Bare Minerals foundation, and my BareSkin has been used only sparingly between.

So how about now? Months after, lets review the product!

Within my notes I had a log, describing how many drops I used and it's lasting power.

Let's start.
Wednesday May 7, 2014.
I accidentally shook the bottle while the lid was not secure. It gushed about 8 drops. This provided complete coverage, but was definitely way too much. Andrew told me he liked it anyways. All this was layered over an SPF ++50 Moisturizer and Lorac POREfection.
The first and last picture is likely a difference of 7AM to about 3PM, while I was waiting for Micro.


Thursday May 8, 2014.
the drops were adjusted to six; two for each half of the face, and one on the forehead and chin each. This still was too much, and clung to the dry spots of the t-zone but settled too dewey at the chin. Despite the flaws, and the greenhouse holding in a temperature of 90˚, my foundation remained from 8 in the morning until 8 that night.
Thursday.


Friday May 9, 2014.
Using five drops, making a similar mistake to wednesday this coated my face rather opaque. Instead of starting at the chin like I did on previous days, I started at the cheeks and it looked much better. The mouth area still looked off though. Again this lasted all day, in a humid greenhouse.
Friday.


Saturday May 10, 2014.
My log only extended until the day I got my droplet amount figured out. Three drops, one for each half of the face and then one to go over the chin and anything missed on the forehead. Applying at 3:30am without primer even, this got me through my entire work day which ended around 4. 

Unfortunately this bad boy had some flaws. If you touched your face you would get product on it. If you touched your clothes, you would transfer product. If you X, you would Y. I went this solid month without setting it once. I would repeatedly get frustrated by it's finish and where it would cling to dry skin patches that I had no idea existed. This is all using moisturizer and primer. When June was starting up, I pulled this out to do my makeup for a funeral and I remember clearly being irritated because I could not get it to work with me.

Not 100% opaque, as freckles still evident but this is flawless for me.

It was around then I just started to use my tiny powder sampler exclusively. Finally it all became clear. YOU HAVE TO SET THIS MOTHER?! WAT?!

From then on, whenever I would want a nice bit of cover and a flawless face I did the process correctly and set my face with mineral veil. It's funny how much frustration I would have saved by simply watching the video of one of my favorite Bare Minerals fanatics.

Like so.
For today, I am going to take a photo of my very broken out pre-joyous-ladies-thing face, and then detail my process using BareSkin. Another thing to note, perhaps I should pick up Bare Porcelain before winter hits. If I have used sun protection enough, then my face should be just as pale, but when I was shade matched both looked rather swell.


Perhaps I will do a video, but look out for that.

Value: $29, coupled with the brush for +$28
Shade Range: There is 20, and they're awesome! (my shade is 03 Bare Linen, but I can move fluid between 01 Bare Porcelain.)
Application Time: Fairly Brief, but requires blending galore.
Comodegenic: Not on my skin at all. Does have tendency to cling to dry patches, and can settle in oily areas. Likely best for normal skin without a lot of blemishes to begin with.
Overall Rating: 8/10. I dock points because if your skin is not smooth it will show it. Honestly, I prefer a powder at this point. But this is amazing and does not make me break out like lots of BB creams I have tried. It also lasts all day for me, even before I set it. If I rank Bare Minerals original foundation as a 10, this is definitely an 8. I look forward to any reformulations they come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment