Friday, April 10, 2015

Ulta Matte Lip Cream

The I'm A while ago Ulta released their own version of a liquid lipstick, promising to dry with a matte finish. Since it has a $9 price tag, even with their Buy 2 Get 2 Free sale, I wanted to wait it out until I found some actual reviews for it. A lot that I have found so far have been limited to just that of swatches and impressions.

I missed the sales, but I could not help myself. I have seen enough that was both charming or mixed that I had to try it.

Here is dinner. My daily log about this product. Eat up kids.

10:40 
I freshly applied this. Very slippery. Very faint scent, but it likely would not be irritating. It fades within .0016 seconds. Also no taste. Another note is that it does manage to be opaque in little coats. I believe this was around one and a half coats to be sure.
 
10:47 
As you can see, it is already drying down to a matte. This still had the power to transfer, with a velvet tackiness. Really a lovely color, which seems to be growing into my signature shade.
 
11:14
Significant time has past. This dries down between 15-30 minutes. It's incredibly lightweight and feels like nothing on the lips. Compared to the NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream, this is a lighter product. It does not settle into lip lines, and pretty much stays where you put it. Provided you wait the time for the product to dry.  I've included a small blot test, in which I forcibly smashed my lips into a white piece of scrap paper. My shade is a light one, so I cannot attest to darker shades. Still, it seemed to only take away the places where I had the cream on thicker during the initial lining. Bravo.
 
12:54
This ultra flattering photo of my lips (I promise, they do not look like this in real life...) is absolute CASH. Perfectly matte and color strong. This is a full two hours after I first applied. Let it also be noted that I had not eaten or drank anything up until this point. However, I did spend a lot of time touching my lips to my hand or to themselves. Product not be blamed, but the lips are slightly dry. On a normal day though, you would apply a balm anyways after a few hours.
 
1:01
This was concerning. I ate some nasty breadsticks from the other day that were in the fridge. Hard as rock and greasy. If it had been a thing I condoned, I would have sooner just gave them to Dallas or Nightshade. While I am pleased to show that color is still there, the oil is not intending on doing good things.
2:24
After hard boiling some eggs, I wanted to enjoy a sandwich. This was before. Note the small breakdown towards my inner lip. This color is very forgiving though, but it is hard to tell. I am sure with a darker color it may be more obvious. Regardless, my lips still look fab after dabbing that nasty breadstick residue off.
 
2:56 
Post egg salad sandwich. A kinder sandwich indeed, as there is little to no additional damage to the pristine matte. 
 
3:01
The color remains, and quite well I might add. There is not halo issue. After this point though, I elected to reapply. Maybe around 4PM I decided to reapply, and there indeed was a difference. Albeit, a small difference. Maybe it's the nature of the color? Maybe it's just a great product.
 

My final verdict can only be judged on the specific shade "Artistic". It's a gorgeous color, and through eating and drinking it maintained itself well. As always though, avoid things too greasy and you should have a great color.

So far, at 7:30 PM, having had this on basically since 11AM it is doing pretty well. I touched up the main flesh of my lip around 4.

AS far as price, I would honestly wait until it's on sale. Ulta regularly has good sales (though so far through Feb and March I only saw two B2G2 sales... hmm. Not as good as usual.). I imagine this product could be between $4-5 based on how they previously priced their lip products during house brand sales. 

Now if you are impatient like me, I would suggest getting a color or two that you adore. Maybe next week I will be pulled into the Ulta tractor beam and grab another one.. NYX's is cheaper and offers more colors of course, but this is perfect for someone who has no desire for a heavy and slightly tacky lip cream. Maybe I will compare the two more in depth later. 

For now though. Dude. I just gotta pick out my next color. Maybe "Striking" or "Vivid". But really, you should try and get them on sale. 

Another final note is that I gave these 4/5 stars on Ulta's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment