Thursday, March 13, 2014

Baby Lips, Just Peachy; A Review

So last night I had a little splurge. I replaced my way-too-old, crusty mascara; which I bet is crawling with s. aureus or e. coli, in excess because you know. bathrooms exist. I would hate to see how much growth I would get in MacConkey agar. The thought gives me the shivers.

Anyways that was replaced with something from the trusty Maybelline selection. I have repurchased some of the same four mascaras a billion times.

Another splurge was to replace my 85% used up black nail polish. Studio M, of course. I had such a long usage of that polish and was impressed. Two coats to total opaque, totally acceptable with one when I felt lazy. I also bought a pastel pink, and dumped my "Fushia Power" Sally Hansen in the garbage.

In the cart also went in a Baby Lips. Recently, one of my sisters had a birthday. So another and I made a gift jar with a few drug store makeup finds and a book. We had Baby Lips Dr. Rescue picked out in Berry Soft. While at the Farm yesterday she had this lovely matte pink to her lips and it just looked...berry soft. I said, "Jessica. what lipstick are you wearing?" and she responded that it was the one we picked out.

I will be darned if I didn't snag one. Her warning was that on some days she loved it, and others she exclaims "WOAH PINK." as it isn't meshing that day. I believe that. It's quite pink. The shade I elected was "Just Peachy".

First application I was shocked in my passenger seat mirror. I did not expect such a slidy layer of color. I applied too much. Since the summer, I have made my own lip balm out of a simple beeswax, cocoa butter recipe. It tingles and smells of peppermint. Rather lovely, but you have to rub a bit on. That was not needed with the baby lips.

While my lips feel hydrated, and not dried out there is this distinctive feeling to them with product on that almost seems like a grit feeling. Very fine grit, that evidently I can not feel when I rub my lips together. Shea Butter and a few other oils might lend to the somewhat greasy feel. Yes it is greasy if I over apply. Going to sleep last night and waking up at 4, long after the balm would have wore off, my lips were still rather soft. All in all, Dr. Rescue is a nice balm. It's just not on the same level as medicated Blistex or Chapstick brand. I blame the tint.
0.5% Menthol as an External Analgesic. I have read some reviews comparing the smell to Vicks Vaporub. I only smell it directly from the tube. Perhaps I am so immersed with the smell of flowers and Formalin (aqueous formaldehyde solution), that I am not noticing the smell any more. Either that or our long winter of wearing Vicks as a neck tie. It should be noted, that I do not mind the smell of Chlorine in pools or embalming fluid. I do mind the smell of rotten potatoes and onions. 
Why do I feel like this makes my lips look larger?

As far as color goes. It's beautiful. I'm in love with the matte nude look it gives against my skin. Maybe it's a cool pink? It's fun and I see this looking extra fab during the summer months too. There is a high likelihood that I would repurchase from this line.

Subjective and arbitrary scaling! 7/10. 

Most of those points are because I adore the color, but as a balm It's normal, or perhaps under-average performing. If it were not tinted like it were, it would receive a 4. Another point was lost due to the very cheap feeling tube. I had little clue as to where to hold it. It was very, very cheap and flimsy feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment